STATE COMPENSATORY AFFORESTATION FUND MANAGEMENT & PLANNING AUTHORITY (CAMPA) – ODISHA
As per Hon’ble Supreme Court’s Order dated 10th July 2009 the State Compensatory Afforestation Fund Management &Planning Authority (CAMPA), Odisha was constituted vide Notification No. 13995/F & E dated 14.08.2009 with an objective of Conservation, Protection, Regeneration and Management of existing natural forests, Wildlife and their habitats and raising Site Specific Compensatory Afforestation, Penal Compensatory Afforestation etc. with utilization of funds deposited in Adhoc CAMPA towards Net Present Value of Diversion of Forest Land for Non-Forestry purposes under Forest Conservation Act, 1980.
- The state CAMPA has so far formulated ten Annual Plans of Operations (APOs) starting with APO 2009-10. The last one is APO 2019-20 which is being implemented from Apr 2019. The APO 2020-21 is under progress.
- Since inception of State CAMPA in 2009, nine numbers of APOs have been implemented in utilizing Rs.2587 Crore i.e. 80% of total receipt fund of Rs.2644.15 Crore from Adhoc CAMPA and Rs 600 Crore from State Budget upto APO 2019-20.
- Further, a total sum of Rs.5933.98 Crore has been received from National authority and kept in RBI to meet the expenses against forthcoming APOs .
Achievement up to APO 2017-18
- Creation of 43671.35 hectare Block/ANR plantation, 130.44 Kilometre of Canal bank, 1,24,363 number of seedlings under sitespecific Compensatory Afforestation , Penal Compensatory Afforestation.
- Creation of 32683.60 hectare Block/ANR plantation and 2,857 hectare Bald hill Plantation
- Subsidiary Silvicultural Operation of Bamboo over 7,44,783 hectare and Subsidiary Silvicultural Operation of Timber over 159933.71 hectare
- Soil and Moisture Conservation over 148162.5 hectare
- Distribution of 96,46,600 number of seedlings
- Site specific Compensatory Afforestation, Penal Compensatory Afforestation etc include 526.64 hectare of block plantation, 2689 heactre of ANR, 314.73 hectr bald hill, 1.5 time safety zone, 10 time tree plantation, SMC etc. Block 20.79, ANR 1661.56, Baldhill 155.75 and left over Comensatory Afforestation ANR 4.48, ANR without gap 93.17, Canal bank plantation 31.1 RKM.
- Establishment of 100 Barracks, 171 Seizure Yards, 51 Malkhanas and 47 number of Forest Checking Stations
- Construction of 197 Range Officer’s Quarters, 583 Forester’s Quarters &1699 Forest Guard’s Quarters, 205 common toilets with water facilities
- Purchase of 93 Moto Vehicles, 261 Motor cycles, 4 Buses & one Mini Bus.
- Construction of 856 Culverts, 1520 Causeways,
- Creation of 1553 water bodies, 852 Tube wells
- Establishment of 15 Mega Nurseries and Up-gradation of 25 Permnent Nurseries
- 83434 Running Kilometre Boundary Wall in different areas.
Highlights for APO 2019-20
The CAMPA Annual Plan of Operation 2019-20 has been implemented since Apr 2019 with financial outlay of Rs.600 crore which has been approved by the State Level Steering Committee in the meeting held under the chairmanship of Chief secretary, Odisha.
- Regeneration of Degraded Bamboo Forests over 76200 hectare
- Creation of ANR over 20,400 Hectare
- Block Plantation over 2000 Hectare
- Bamboo Plantation over 2000 Hectare @ 400 plants/Ha
- 2nd year Maintenance of ANR over 84930 hectare
- 4th Year Maintenance of ANR over 93121 Hectare
- 2nd year Maintenance of Bald Hill over 1,000 hectare
- 4th Year Maintenance of Bald Hill over 1,000 Hectare
- Avenue plantation over 76 RKM
Forest Protection & Prevention of Forest fire
- Deployment of 216 firefighting squads in 37 Forest Divisions
- Deployment of 2270 rural unemployed youth for protection duty.
- 282 vehicles provided for protection duties.
- Infrastructure and logistic arrangement in 282 No.s of Forest Ranges.
- Construction of 371 numbers of Culverts & Causeways
- Repair and maintenance of 1000 KM Forest road.
- Maintenance of 39 permanent and mega nursery.
- 30 Range Officer's residence, 75 Forester's quarters and 200 forest Guard's quarters.
- Management of Wildlife (Rs.155.89 cr) in Protected Areas including protection activities, Anti depredation activities, Communication, Habitat improvement, Infrastructure development, Zoo management & Implementation of Elephant Train Collision Mitigation Plan.
- Preparation of comprehensive Wildlife Management Plan for the state.
- Implementation of site specific Wildlife Conservation Plan.
- Relocation of families from Similipal & Satkosia Tiger Reserve.
- Ama Jangal Yojana (Rs.81.57 Crore): Strengthening of VSS & preparation of Micro Plan for taking up ANR & Block Plantation.
- Maintenance of Research garden & other research activities like Adaptive Research / Tree Improvement Programmes/Production of QPM.
- Distribution of 15000 no.s of chullas in Forest fringe villages
- Conservation of 700 Sacred Groves site.
Monitoring Mechanism (e- Green Watch)
Web based monitoring portal ‘e-Green Watch’ has been launched for monitoring and evaluation of all activities taken up under CAMPA in the state. The process of uploading the geo-references of all activities undertaken in the portal and monitored/evaluated by Forest Survey of India (FSI) & National Informatics Centre (NIC).
Compensatory afforestation is taken up against forest land diverted for non-forestry activities in accordance with the stipulation laid down in the diversion proposal approval.