Forest and Tree Cover in the State as per India State Forest Report, 2015
|Total Geographical Area(GA)||1,55,707 sq. km.|
|Recorded Forest Area||58,136 sq. km|
|Forest Cover Area||50,354 sq. km|
|Per Capita Forest Area (Recorded)||0.14 ha.|
|Per Capita Forest & Tree Cover||0.13 ha|
|Percentage of Forest Area (Recorded) to Geographical Area||37.34%|
|Percentage of Forest & Tree Cover to Geographical Area||34.9%|
Forest and Tree Cover in the State
Forest Survey of India has been estimating forest and tree cover of the country biennially since 1997 on the basis of Satellite imagery interpretation. The forest & tree cover of the State in different assessment reports is as under:
India State Forest
|Very Dense||Dense||Moderately dense||Open Forest||Mangrove||Total||Scrub||Tree cover|
- The percentage of forest cover (48,903 sq. km.) to total recorded forest area (58,136 sq. km.) of the State is 84.12 % in 2011.
- The percentage of forest cover (50,347 sq. km.) to total recorded forest area (58,136 sq. km.) of the State is 86.6 % in 2013.
- The forest cover in the State is 48,903 sq. km. i.e. 31.41% of its geographical area and tree cover of the State is 4301 sq. km. i.e. 2.76% of geographical area as per 2009 assessment published in India State of Forest Report, 2011.
- The forest cover in the State is 50,347 sq. km. i.e. 32.33% of its geographical area and tree cover of the State is 4013 sq. km. i.e. 2.57% of geographical area as published in India State of Forest Report, 2013.
- The forest cover in the State is 50,354 sq. km. i.e. 32.34% of its geographical area and tree cover of the State is 3,986 sq. km. as published in India State of Forest Report, 2015.
- The state has gained a rise of 48 sq. km. of forest cover over 2007 assessment. The reason for increase in the forest cover as per State of Forest Report, 2011 is mainly due to conservation measures and improvement in Scrub area owing to plantations of Bamboo and Teak species.
- The state has gained a rise of 1444 sq. km. of forest cover over 2011 assessment. The reason for increase in the forest cover as per State of Forest Report, 2013 is mainly due to conservation initiatives and involvement of Van Surakshya Samiti.
- The state has gained a rise of 7 sq. km. of forest cover over 2013 assessment. The reason for increase in the forest cover as per State of Forest Report, 2015 is mainly attributed to better conservation in mangroves and plantation activities.
- The State has gained more than 3413 sq. km. area of forest cover since 1997.
Forest Area as per legal status
|Recorded Forest Area||(In sq. km.)|
|Other Forest /Revenue Forest||16,261.34|
|Deemed Forest (DLC Forest)||2838.87|
District wise Forest cover of Odisha as per ISFR,2015 (Area in Sq.Km)
|District||Geographical Area||Very Dense Forest||Mod. Dense Forest||Open Forest||Total||Percentage of GA||Change||Scrub|